Case Study - Pearl-Commerce Office Lofts
The Developer assembled three downtown properties: 2036 Commerce, a 7,500 sf building, 2038 Commerce, a 5,000 sf building, and 2037 Jackson, an adjacent 29 space parking lot. The Bluitt Building (2036), built in 1904, was the first African-American physician owned and occupied building in Dallas. The Purvis Building (2038) was built in 1903 as a dry-goods store. When acquired, the buildings had been empty for almost 20 years. The developer obtained Landmark Commission and National Park Service historical designation, as well as tax credits and property tax abatements. The buildings were renovated as close to original design as archivists could determine. Ultimately the Bluitt Building sold to a photography studio. The Purvis Building and parking sold to a law firm for its headquarters.